Saturday 26 March 2011

kuih bakar pandan

this is one of the very few kueh melayu that i know how to make, apart from sagu gula melaka, bronok sagu (sagu with kelapa parut)  & ondeh2 or buah melaka and popiah if you consider that as kueh melayu.

my hubby's niece who's studying in Sheffield gave me the recipe - she got it from the web and i had been using it since. its dead easy - every ingredient is measured using cup, not grams or ounces and the recipe never failed me!

i've not made this for a while, today i thought of making to give to a family friend whose mom looks after my little one few afternoons a week. my friend's children call this 'kueh aunt bessie' cos they look like aunt bessie's yorkshire pudding. an earlier conversation with my 4 y.o.
me: "adik, nanti hantar kueh kat wan".
4 y.o :  " i cant hear you.. i dont understand what you are saying".
me: "you send the kueh to wan's house"
4 y.o:  "what is kueh?"
me: "kueh is like cake but it looks like yorkshire pudding"
finally  she said "aaahhh...". she tried a bit but she didnt like it..so unlike her elder sister.

ingredients :
  • 1 cup evaporated milk (susu cair)
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 cup coconut milk (santan pekat)
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 3 eggs - beaten
  • 2 tbsp custard powder
  • 1 tsp pandan paste
  • roasted sesame seeds (bijan) - optional  
method :
  • put all ingredients in a big bowl, mix till smooth & lump free.
  • what i did was - i sieved  the mixture into a jug and pour into greased muffin tray, 3/4 full. the mix can make up to 21 muffin sized kueh. sprinkle  a bit of sesame seeds on top.

  •  bake in oven gas 4 or 180 deg C for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Dah di cuba today tapi rasa mcm tak menjadi...somehow dia tak jadi mcm 'Aunt Bessy' yg u buat. Dia jadi padat aje...mcm typical kuih bakar. Yours selalunya very soft kat dalam, tak padat! Tak tau lah apa yg silapnya....ke telur tak cukup 'pukul' or sebab guna loyang besar? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi, maybe sebab u guna loyang besar tak lah jadi mcm Aunt Bessy but mcm kuih bakar biasa.. as long as soft and rasa lemak ok lah. can try again next time. cepat cari yr muffin tray hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. K Nik - dapat dah my muffin tray, ada org gi cari kat garage bila saya sudah tarik muka! Not sure lah sbb loyang ke apa...tapi saya hanya mampu dapat rate 7 out of 10 from the kids (markah kesian kot!)...sbb depa dah a few times mkn yg u buat. Semua excited when I said I was making Aunt Bessy kuih bakar tapi bila depa mkn...semua senyap aje, tak komen pun...when I asked, they said..'these are not Aunty Nik's Aunt Bessy..' Tension I...lol

    ReplyDelete